10 SLEEPER CARS
06 May 2013 by RaceMasteR J
Now as many of you may already know what a “sleeper”
car is, I am still going to elaborate a little for those that
don’t. Imagine pulling up to a set of “robots”…
we’ll say Killarney’s start line lights (for the
interest of public safety, because racing on public roads is
ILLEGAL! Duh!)… at a Street2Strip event in your somewhat
quick vehicle. Let’s say you own a modified M3 or Mercedes
AMG… pretty much any car with status and some poke. An
unsuspecting car pulls up next to you, no visible mods, no loud
exhaust, and you think to yourself, there’s no way in
hell that little thing is going to beat me! The lights go green
and that very same unsuspecting car leaves you for dust! That’s
what you call a sleeper! Its cars that aren’t expected
to be quick, but just are.
compiled a list of my top 10 sleeper cars here, I’ll stick
to 10 for now, because we all know this list can go on forever.
So in number 10 we have…
10. Opel Kadett/Monza CD – Because it’s
not a Superboss, and there’s plenty of boosted CD's around
9. BMW E30 – Boosted 1J motor's, E36
M3 turbo motors...
8. Honda DOHC/CRX – On the older side
but still a sleeper. B20, VTEC…
7. Toyota Hilux bakkie – Boosted 2J Supra
motors. Nuff said.
6. Nissan STi – Are they not taking over
5. Ford Escort - There's some really quick
ones out there. Great RWD traction and light weight.
4. Box shape Toyota Corolla - Plenty running
around with boosted 4age motors.
3. Nissan Champ bakkie - Well we all know about
these ones. Louis Lima FTW!
2. Uno Turbo – Mostly very mildly looking
on the outside, but peri-peri dynamite under the bonnet.
1. Mk1 Golf – Simple… because there’s
always a Mk1 quicker than you!